We technically have six more weekends of Summer, which means, we have six more weekends of BBQ’s. So, instead of feeling guilty about the occasional burger, I just made it work for me.
Below is a very simple recipe that only requires 6 ingredients including salt & pepper.
Why, you ask, do I not feel the pang of guilt? These burgers…
- have more fiber
- are lower in saturated fat and total calories
- are juicier (since vegetables naturally have more water capacity than meat)
- and they are cheaper!
Serving: 10 4oz burgers
Calories: ~165 calories w/o bun or condiments
- -2 pounds of 95% lean ground beef
- -1 small sweet potato, minced
- -1 small onion, white or red, minced
- -1 TBS of vinegar
- -salt & pepper to taste
- a few pieces of jalapeño (optional)
Mince sweet potato and onion. Place vegetables in a bowl and add vinegar. Make sure to mix well. The vinegar will help soften the cell walls of the vegetables as well as tenderize the meat. Add salt and pepper. Last but not least, combine with ground beef. Once all ingredients are mixed well, make 4 oz patties (approx. about the size of your palm- including width).